555 Washington St. . Red Bluff, CA .
Fire Home | FAQs | Statistics & Data | Apparatus | Training | Fire Prevention | Station Tours | Employment | Personnel Roster | Blood Pressure | Burning Rules | Safety Tips | Other Web Links | Document Library
Cedar Street Fire House
(a.k.a. Whitt Hall / Fire Museum)
Built in August 1906
835 Cedar St., Red Bluff, CA
Can be scheduled for special group tours, call (530) 527-1126
New Firehouse Proposed
On March 23rd, 1905, the Board of Town Trustees completed the purchase of a lot 45’ × 80’, on the South side of Cedar Street between Jackson & Lincoln Streets. The land is described as follows:
[East 45 feet of lots 13, 14, & 15 of block 110, and a strip of land 45 feet by 2 feet of lot 16 of said block. Together with the right of way for a public highway along the South side of the lot, 10 feet wide extending westerly to Lincoln Street]
The deeds filed for record in the County hall of records included one from John Kokole to M. R. Hook, in which the consideration was stated as $10.00. Another from Mr. Hook to the town of Red Bluff, which carried a consideration of $350.00. The purchase of this site for a new fire house was made by the City Fathers at the suggestion and largely on the recommendation of the West Side Improvement Association.
Officials Visit New Fire House
August 9, 1906
Wednesday afternoon Mayor Bransford, Town Trustees Paul Stoll, Jacob Landis and C. A. Lange paid an official visit to the new fire house of Company No. 2. They were met by contractor W. F. O’Conner, John Hendricks and painter T. H. Long. The board members thought the building was a credit to the city. The West Side Engine House will soon be dedicated to the West Side Improvement Club.
August 17, 1906
President Bransford, Trustees Landis and Lange were present at Thursday evening’s adjourned meeting of the “City Fathers” and the principal business was the formal acceptance of the new engine house on Cedar Street between Jackson and Lincoln Streets and the payment of $1,357.83 to Contractors O’Connor Brothers, leaving a balance of $1,424.50 to be paid a month later. The total cost of the handsome engine house which will soon provide adequate fire protection to residents of the western portion of the city has been $5,698.00 and the building is a credit to the community as well as a safe-guard.
The motion that the building be accepted was made by Trustee Landis and seconded by Trustee Lange and was carried by a full vote of the members present. Contractor Frank Hendricks presented a bill of $148.49 for extras ordered by the building committee composed in the first place of Trustees Stice, Weast, and Landis and after the reorganization of the Board of Trustees Landis, Walton and Lange. The additional items include among other things a plank floor in the stalls, clear and select red fir flooring instead of Oregon pine and finishing work. This bill was ordered paid without demur.
new fire house which will be the home of Engine Company No. 2, as soon
as one can be organized is situated on the west side of the alley
having a driveway to Lincoln Street as well as egress and ingress from
Cedar and Jackson Streets. The structure is
of Tehama County brick, well selected, and stands two stories in
height, being 45 feet in width and 70 feet in length. There
are four ordinary stalls for horses and two box stalls for the fiery
steeds which are on duty ready to haul the apparatus to fires. The upstairs is fitted up neatly as a meeting room and there is a commodious hay-loft. Two
sets of stairs lead to the upper floor from the front and rear and the
entire building, while inexpensive for the purpose will give the city
good value for
The structure is a monument to the ingenuity of Trustee Charles A. Lange who was prevailed upon by Trustees Stice and Weast to prepare the plans and his design was accepted by the former Board some months before Mr. Lange was elected to Aldermanic honors. He was compelled against his wish and preference to remain as superintendent of the building until its completion and his fellow members promised him every assistance but the great burden of the work fell on Trustee Lange.
First motorized fire pumper (gasoline driven) centrifugal pump 500 GPM manufactured by White Motor Co. - 1918. Restored by Red Bluff Volunteer Fire Department during 1970’s and is known as “Putty Putt”.
The City of Red Bluff is an equal opportunity provider.